things you will need
- 1 x empty box
- Coloured card, tape and scissors
- 1 x buzzer
- 1 x micro switch
- 1 x red croc lead
- 2 x black croc leads
- 1 x 4AA battery pack (and batteries)
- Printer to print morse code decoder – link below
All electronic components and battery pack can be found in the Discover + Play Circuits kit.
Check the battery pack
Switch the battery pack OFF before you start.
Connect a red croc clip
Connect one red croc clip to the red wire on the battery pack.
Connect the buzzer
Connect the other red croc clip to the red wire on the buzzer.
Connect a black croc clip
Connect a black croc clip to the black wire on the buzzer.
Connect the switch
Connect the loose black croc clip to the pin on the switch labelled COM (this stands for Common).
Connect the switch to the battery pack
- Take another black croc clip lead and connect it to the black wire of the battery pack and the switch pin labelled NO.
- Turn the battery pack ON and press the switch to hear the buzzer.
Prepare the box
- Make a small hole in the front of the box to fit the wires attached to the buzzer.
- Cut-out a small section on the top of the box to fit the switch.
Set-up your morse code machine
- Place the circuit inside the box.
- Push the switch through the opening in the box and secure the wires with tape.
- Detach the buzzer from the circuit.
- Place the buzzer wires through small hole on the front of the box, so the buzzer is on the outside.
- Re-attach the buzzer wires to the circuit inside the box.
- Make sure the battery pack is ON and close the box.
Attach the decoder
- Download and print the decoder using the link below.
- Cut-out the decoder and attach to the front of the box, so the alphabet is facing towards you.
Send your first message
- Grab a friend or family member and to test out your morse code machine.
- Did they decipher the message correctly?