things you will need
The following items from the Discover Computing kit:
- 1 x Crumble
- 1 x Battery pack
- 1 x Sparkle baton
- 1 x Sparkle
- 3 x Red croc leads, 3 x Black croc leads, 2 x Green croc lead
- 1 x USB cable
A computer with a USB port and the Crumble software installed.
- Tracing paper
- Black card
- Box with lid
- Craft knife or scissors
Connect the Crumble to power
Use one red croc lead and one black croc lead to connect the Crumble to the battery pack.
Add the Sparkles
- Attach one red croc lead, one black croc lead and one green croc lead to the connectors on the right hand side of the Crumble.
- Attach the croc leads to the connectors on the left hand side of the Sparkle baton.
- Next, attach one red croc lead, one black croc lead and one green croc lead to the connectors on the right hand side of the Sparkle baton.
- Attach these croc leads to the connectors on the left hand side of the single Sparkle.
Connect the Crumble to a computer
Use the USB cable to connect your Crumble circuit to a computer with the Crumble software installed.
Code the lights
- Snap a ‘do forever’ loop to a program start block.
- Tell the Crumble to set the Sparkle baton to a mix of blue and green colours.
- Tell the Crumble to set the single Sparkle (number 8) to purple.
- Tell the Crumble to keep the Sparkles on for 100 milliseconds (you will find the ‘wait 100 milliseconds’ block in the Control section of the menu).
- Repeat, changing the order of the blue and green colours on the Sparkle baton and leaving Sparkle 8 as purple.
- Tell the Crumble to keep these colours for 100 milliseconds.
- Turn the battery pack ON.
- Send your code to the Crumble (using the green triangle) to test it out.
Build the frame
- Draw and cut a rectangle out of the box lid.
- Measure a piece of tracing paper to fit over the hole and cut to size.
- Tape the tracing paper over the rectangle hole on the inside of the box.
Craft the scene
- Cut the black cardboard or paper to be the same width as the tracing paper.
- Draw an outline of a mountain range on the black cardboard or paper.
- Cut out the mountain outline.
- Tape the mountain outline to the back of the tracing paper on the inside of the box lid.
Prepare the light show
- Unplug the USB cable from the Crumble.
- Place the Crumble circuit inside of the box.
- Tape the single Sparkle to the top of the inside of the box.
- Secure the Sparkle baton to the bottom of the inside of the box – making sure the Sparkles are pointing upwards.
- Turn the battery pack on.
- Close the box.
Turn out the lights
- Take your light show to a dark room to see the full effect.