things you will need
- Wide (enough to fit a small hand) cardboard tube. We used a well-known snack brand and cut out the bottom.
- 4 x wooden lolly sticks
- 5 x elastic bands
- Plastic spiders
Tape two lolly sticks
- Tape one lolly stick to the outside of the cardboard tube.
- Tape another lolly stick directly opposite – also to the outside of the tube.
Create a square
Tape the two remaining lolly sticks to the outside of the tube – creating a square shape.
Attach one elastic band
- Place one elastic band around the outside of the lolly stick square.
- Hook the elastic band around each of the lolly sticks – as shown.
Add one more
- Add another elastic band around the lolly stick square, above the existing band.
- Take one corner of the bottom elastic band and pull it over the second elastic band and the top of the lolly stick.
- Repeat for all corners.
Add 3 more elastic bands
Repeat steps 4 and 5 three times.
Test your catapult
- Pop a spider on top of the elastic web.
- Place your hand inside of the tube.
- Pull back and hold the middle of the elastic web.
- Release (making sure no-one or thing is in the firing line) and watch your spider launch into the air.
Make a game
Set-up a web to aim at and load your catapult. How many spiders can you get to land on the web?